The world is wrestling with the tension between a desperate need to continue taking COVID-19 as seriously as ever, and planning ahead for our emergence from lockdown when the time is right.
The ReRe team has come together with a passion for a society-positive, environmentally-positive, mental-health-positive, economically positive emergence from lockdown. As you know from earlier blogs, we realised in the first weeks of lockdown that we were having a shared experience with billions of others. COVID-19 and Lockdown were revealing to us what needs to change in our individual lives and in society – less pollution, less work-life exhaustion, and placing inclusivity, sustainability and care for the vulnerable at the heart of our economic models.
With the UK government announcement due, we’ve woven together our ideas for “Voluntary Lockdown” commitments and a call for a “Citizens’ Charter” and we are poised to:-
- launch a global movement to call on people to publicly commit to making any individual changes to their own lifestyles they are empowered to make which build on their personal revelations from the COVID-19 and lockdown experiences;
- launch a global movement supporting individuals and action groups to publicly request employers, community leaders, governments, and leaders of commerce to make new pledges to them, reflecting what they’ve discovered is required to sustain a healthy society.
We will be leading from dedicated ReRe social media accounts, sowing seeds and inviting people to answer The Question – “What1Thing?”, encouraging them to sow their own seeds by sharing their commitments far and wide using the hashtags #voluntarylockdown #citizenscharter and #wethepeople.
Behind the social media campaign will sit what we’re currently calling a Wide Open Space; an online space in which people from anywhere in the world can gather in real-time to reflect, plan and act together. The space will be set up to facilitate members to be entirely self-organising based on their specific action focus. The ReRe team will also create a series of scheduled and facilitated mass events using the principles of Open Space Technology.
Before we can go live, we have to find a platform host willing to sponsor the project. The cost is prohibitive of any platform where vast numbers of people can come together on video calls, collaborate and create documents and action plans. Our biggest hope is that Sococo will come through – we like their set up a lot.
As an important mentor of ours reminded us recently,
“In January, as all of this began … I suggested to colleagues in a conference that what we really needed was a conversation with 8 billion people. Back in the ’40’s a select body was invited to San Francisco and the UN was born. With some notable exceptions, it has worked quite well, but it is now old and tired. We need a new way of having a conversation…”
We’ve written to Sococo inviting them to partner with us, and we’ll let you know what happens. It might be audacious to think we can invite 8bn people to an online meeting, but we’ll certainly the invite.
- If you have any other ideas, or contacts, that could help with the online platform, we’d love to hear from you.
- Please consider sharing this post – far and wide – and signing up at the bottom of the page to receive a notification as soon as we’re ready to launch.
- And most importantly, it’s time to ask yourself “What1Thing?”, ready to respond on launch day. What1Thing will you change about your own life? And What1Thing will you ask your political leaders to pledge to change as your representative?